Dumfries & Stewartry Sub-Branch
This is the website of the Dumfries and Stewartry Branch of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA). The Campaign for Real Ale is the world’s most successful consumer organisation. It aims to promote the great British pub and the great beer served in it. The campaign is organised into branches run by volunteers that cover the whole country. Each branch organises local events and campaigns and contributes to the overall national campaign to give the pub-going public a voice in the way our national pub heritage is maintained.
CAMRA supports well-run pubs as the centres of community life – whether in rural or urban areas – and believe their continued existence play a critical social role in UK culture. CAMRA also supports the pub as the one place in which to consume real ale (also known as cask-conditioned beer, live or cask ale) and to try one of the thousands of different styles now produced across the UK.
Pictured above (L-R): The Clachan Inn, St. John's Town of Dalry - Overall winner of the CAMRA 2018 Pub of the Year for the Dumfries & Stewartry region and individual winner for the Stewartry area; Cavens Arms, Dumfries - winner for Dumfries Town area; Blue Bell, Annan - winner for the Dumfriesshire area and overall winner for Cider Pub of the Year 2018. Photos provided by Phil Robinson.
Our branch is a sub branch of the neighbouring Solway branch and currently has over 120 members. We cover a large geographical area of South West Scotland, with many scattered villages and towns extending from Langholm, Canonbie, Gretna and Annan in the east, west to the towns of Kirkcudbright, New Galloway and St John's Town of Dalry, north to Sanquhar, Wanlockhead and Moffat and South to Castle Douglas and the Solway coastal towns of Kippford and Carsethorn. Neighbouring branches are Ayrshire & Wigtownshire, Glasgow & West of Scotland, Edinburgh & South-East Scotland and Solway branch.
If you live within our area and have an appreciation for Real Ale then you would be more than welcome to join us at any of our meetings or socials. Look in our BRANCH DIARY to see what’s happening.
Sub-Branch Meeting - The next Sub-Branch meeting will be our AGM which will be held on Saturday 9th June 2018 at 1pm at the Tam O' Shanter in Dumfries.
Please also visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1721283788190177/
Don’t forget to check our NEWS page regularly.
Visitors to Dumfries and Galloway
Whether you are visiting this beautiful unspoilt part of Scotland just to do some touring around, or to take part in something more energetic, there may come a time when you want to find a welcoming good Ale pub. Simply click on our PUB GUIDE to find real ale outlets near to where you are staying.
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Monday, 11:18 : Nominations for CAMRA's Pub Design Awards 2018 are now open! The annual award recognises the highest standards of… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Friday, 19:00 : RT @ReadingCAMRA: #CheerstoBeer - it's Beer Day Britain and we're raising a glass! @BeerDayBritain 🍻 pic.twitter.com/4Dn5WhwaJo
- Friday, 19:10 : RT @GrimsbyCamra: #cheerstobeer #BeerDayBritain pic.twitter.com/0eUy6FlVfL
- Friday, 19:03 : RT @yogibarney: It’s a #CheersToBeer on #NationalBeerDay from all volunteers and drinkers at the @MCRCentralCamra beer festival at… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Friday, 19:04 : RT @Lincoln_CAMRA: Happy @BeerDayBritain from @Lincoln_CAMRA at @BHZlincoln #CheersToBeer pic.twitter.com/kurD5p1zrt